The Family Information Service and Early Years and Childcare Section finds itself answering the same sorts of questions to parents in Monmouthshire. In order to help you out, we’ve put together a handy list of our frequently asked questions.
1)  How do I apply to my local School Nursery?
A nursery application form can be obtained from

Contact Details: ( / 01633 644508)
2)  When will my child be eligible for Foundation Phase Nursery (FPN) Funding?
Every child is eligible for FPN  funding the term following their 3rd birthday.  The start of each term dates is January 1st, April 1st and September 1st regardless of when holidays start and end.  The funding available is £9 per session, up to 5 sessions a week (2 – 2 1/2 hours per day up to 12 ½  hours per week ) and each session must be on a different day.  The funding is only available at one of Monmouthshire’s approved FPN playgroups or nurseries.  Details of these FPN providers can be found here.
Please note: You may hear Foundation Phase Nursery (FPN) funding referred to as nursery vouchers, pre-school funding, 3 year old childcare, early education etc.   This is all the same funding and in Monmouthshire, the correct definition is Foundation Phase Nursery funding.  It exists to provide education to three and four year olds before starting school and is for the educational element only and not for childcare. 

3) What is the Childcare Offer and how do I apply for it?

The Childcare Offer for Wales is a Welsh Government funded scheme providing 30 hours a week of free education and childcare for eligible working parents of 3 and 4 year olds, for up to 48 weeks of the year.

Full information about the Childcare Offer can be found here

4)  How do I become a registered childminder?
Read our 10 step guide to becoming a childminder here. 
5)  Can I receive any help towards Childcare costs?
From age 2, your child may be eligible for Flying Start childcare if you live in an eligible area.   FPN Funding is available, the term following your child’s 3rd birthday at one of Monmouthshire’s approved FPN  providers and you may be eligible for the 30 hours childcare offer.
6) How do I know if my Childcare Provider is registered?
A Childcare Provider must be registered with Care Inspectorate Wales(CIW) if they look after children under the age of 12 and plan to operate for more than two hours a day.  If your Childcare Provider is registered with CIW, they will have a CIW Registration Number which they should be able to give you.  Your Childcare Provider must be registered with CIW if you wish to claim the childcare element of the Working Tax Credit.
7) What should I check for when looking for childcare?
Read our guide to choosing the most suitable childcare for your child here. 

mother and father with pram characters

8) How do I find Childcare in my area: 
A comprehensive list of childcare, activities and family services throughout the county can be found at

Alternatively, you can email, ring 01633 644527 or text/whatsapp 07977 055885 during office hours.
9) I don’t live in Monmouthshire, how can I access childcare information for my area?
Every Local Authority has a Family Information Service.  You can find contact details and web addresses at
10) I’m thinking about becoming a childcare provider, how do I find out if there is a need in my area?
You can read Monmouthshire’s most recent Childcare Sufficiency Assessment to find out about the provision currently available and plans for future developments.