Opening times

The Monmouthshire Household Waste Recycling Centres are open 7 days a week from 8am to 5:50pm.

All sites are closed Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day. The recycling centres are open as normal on Bank Holidays but may be very busy.

Monmouthshire Household Waste Recycling Centres:

  • Caerwent – Five Lanes Quarry, A48, Caerwent
  • Llanfoist – Heads of the Valleys Road A465, Access via Merthyr Road, Llanfoist, Abergavenny, NP7 9AQ
  • Mitchel Troy – Off the B4293, Mitchel Troy, Monmouth, NP25 4HX
  • Usk – Maryport Street Car Park, NP15 1A

During the summer period Mitchel Troy Recycling Centre in particular can be very busy and skip exchanges can cause the site to close temporarily. We try to do this at quieter periods but in the summer this can be difficult given the volumes of traffic visiting the site. Alternatively you can visit the Llanfoist Recycling Centre which is a larger site and able to cope with more visitors.

Find out more information about the temporary closures at Mitchel Troy Recycling Centre – see the Frequently Asked Questions


These sites are provided for the recycling and disposal of household waste only.

Red and purple bags cannot be taken to the recycling centres and must not be used for household rubbish. We provide facilities to recycle paper, cardboard, glass, tins and cans separately at the recycling centres. If your recycling bags have been stickered and left by our crews, please email or call our Contact Centre on 01633 644644.

If you are doing house and garden renovations you should use a reputable skip company. Garden waste can be collected at the kerbside from as little as 50p per week, business waste including material left by trades people working on your house should not be brought into the Household Waste Recycling Centres, this waste should be taken to Llanfoist or Five Lanes and paid for over the weighbridge.

See what can be taken to each recycling centre.

See our Asbestos Policy for residents.


Restrictions on commercial vehicles

The Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRCs) are provided for the disposal of domestic household waste under S.51 Environmental Protection Act 1990 and are for residents of Monmouthshire only. The sites are not provided for the disposal of large amounts of DIY waste or waste from commercial and trade activities. This includes waste from tradesmen, business activity, commercial properties, house clearances and landlords of tenanted properties.

Businesses have a statutory duty to make arrangements for their own waste disposal (click here for more information on business waste laws). They are not allowed to use the HWRCs. Business/trade waste can be disposed of at the Llanfoist and Five Lanes sites over the weighbridge at competitive commercial rates (details on site). To ensure compliance with the sites’ permits, a valid “Waste Carrier Licence” should be produced prior to using the sites. Site personnel will be happy to help businesses obtain this license.

You can contact the site regarding disposal of business waste: Five lanes – 01633 400013 or Llanfoist 01873 854604.


Commercial type vehicles and trailers are not be allowed to use the HWRCs without prior consent from Monmouthshire County Council. We are therefore introducing a permit scheme for Five Lanes, Llanfoist and Mitchel Troy. Usk site cannot accept commercial type vehicles or trailers.

Residents may access the HWRCs without a permit in:

Cars · Four wheel drive (discovery type vehicles – with rear seats and windows) · Camper vans · People carriers · Cars towing trailers (up to approx. 6ft in length)

Residents may access the HWRCs in the following WITH A PERMIT:

Pick-ups · Vans · Landrovers (agricultural type with no windows in back) · Towing trailer (over 6ft in length) · Sign written cars

If you have a commercial type vehicle as your only vehicle and it is not used for business purposes, you can apply for a permit to allow the disposal of domestic waste only.

Please note the site operatives will challenge and may refuse entry to any vehicle suspected of carrying trade waste.

Apply for a permit

You can apply for a permit using the My Monmouthshire customer portal or download the App. You will need to attach a copy of the vehicle logbook and insurance certificate showing that the vehicle is insured for private and domestic use only. Please explain your use of the site, how often you need to visit and what type of waste you need to take.


Bulky waste collection

Alternatively you can arrange to have bulky waste or furniture collected from your home. We offer a bulky waste collection, this service is provided by a charity called homemakers – click here for more information.


Give your old items a new lease of life by selling or giving them away. There are many examples of exchange websites where you can give away or sell your unwanted items. These include the Freecycle network, Freegle, Gumtree, and ebay. Or give items away to your local charity shop to be reused while supporting a good cause.

For all enquiries, contact us:


Phone: 01633 644644

Or visit your Local Community Hub