Young people and children under 18 have a role in looking after a family member. This could involve a number of things including:
- Household chores such as cooking, cleaning, washing etc.
- Personal care such as helping with washing, dressing, giving medication etc.
- Child care such as looking after siblings.
- Administrative tasks such as sorting out bills etc.
It can be difficult as a young carer taking on such grown up responsibilities, and young carers may find themselves struggling in school, feeling isolated and missing out on having fun. It’s important that young carers know that support is available.
Below are a number of contact details for services which support young carers in their caring role.
- Young Carers Service -Carers Trust South East Wales – Tel: 01495 366993
- Children’s Services – Monmouthshire County Council – Tel: 01291 636355
In addition the Young Carers project exists which can provide a break for youngsters in caring roles and opportunities for them to participate in activities which they may otherwise miss out on.
Young Carers Project Locality 3,
Flat G, County hospital, Griffithstown,
Pontypool, NP4 5YA
Tel/Fax: 01495 769996