Skip to Main Content

Here is some information on organising your wedding in Monmouthshire.

How soon can I book the registrar?

You can make a provisional booking with the Superintendent Registrar as soon as you have decided on the venue and chosen a date. This can be done over the telephone, and we will tell you what times are available on that date.

You can only confirm the booking by entering your notice of marriage.

Notice of marriage

By law you have to give a notice of marriage, which is a formal declaration of your intention to marry. You are both required to give a notice of marriage and there is a standard fee for this. You must give notice at the Register Office in the Registration District where you have lived for seven days immediately prior to giving the notice.

If you live in Monmouthshire you must give notice to the Monmouthshire Registration Service. If either or both of you are from another district, then you must give the notice at your local register office unless advised otherwise.

If you are not a British citizen, a national of a country in the European Economic Area(EEA) or do not have a certificate of entitlement giving you the right to live in the UK you are subject to immigration control and must give notice in a Designated Register Office. More information is available from the Superintendent Registrar or from the Home Office.

How much notice do we need to give?

You can’t give a notice of marriage more than 12 months before the date of marriage. A marriage can’t take place until 29 days after you have given the notice.

You need to make an appointment by phoning 01873 735435

What do we need to produce?

At your appointment you will need to bring:

  • The current fee of £35 (this fee is non-refundable)
  • A valid passport, OR a birth certificate plus one other form of ID such as a driving licence or medical card. If you do not have a passport and you were born after 1st January 1983, you will need to bring your full birth certificate showing your parents’ names, plus another form of ID, plus your mother’s birth certificate or passport to prove your nationality
  • If you are divorced you will need proof of your divorce (decree absolute stamped by court)
  • If you have been divorced in a foreign country, we will need to see the original documents issued by that country. If those documents are in a foreign language, we will need to see an English translation. If the other country has issued no documents, we will tell you what we can accept as proof of a divorce. There will be an additional fee (of up to £75) if you have foreign divorce papers.
  • If you are a widow or widower we will need to see a certified copy of your former spouse’s death certificate
  • If you have changed your name by deed poll or statutory declaration we will need to see those documents
  • Proof of your current address (Current driving licence, Council Tax demand or a recent bill or bank statement)

If you have already married each other in a foreign country, you will only need to marry here if you think that the previous marriage was not legal.

If either of you is under 18 years of age, we will need to see proof that your parents or guardian agree to the marriage. If your parents are divorced, we may also need to see the court order that gives custody to one of them.

Please contact the office for advice on any of the above and our team will be pleased to help you.



Register Office

Monmouthshire County Council