If you wish to drive a hackney carriage or a private hire vehicle, you need to apply for a private hire/hackney carriage driver’s licence.
How do I get a licence?
You must be 21 years of age or above and must be able to prove you have the right to work in the United Kingdom.
Monmouthshire County Council require all new applicants to pass a Knowledge Test (including a map test of the whole county) and attend a Safeguarding course by our chosen training provider – Torfaen Training. You are able to schedule a test and obtain the required paperwork by first contacting Torfaen Training on 01633 875929.
When successful and you hold a pass certificate from Torfaen Training we will be able to accept a full application. The licensing section must be satisfied that the applicant is fit and proper to hold a licence, therefore we will require the following;
- Over 21 and held a British driving licence (holder of an EC/EEA driving licence with GB counterpart document) for a minimum of 12 months
- Complete the relevant application form
- Complete a place of birth form
- Produce a group 2 Medical Certificate conducted by your registered GP
- Complete a DBS application approval form, available from the Licensing Team
- Complete DVLA driver licence approval (sent by email)
- Pay the required fee £270
- Produce a valid UK passport or Birth Certificate with National Insurance Number
Certain criminal convictions and motoring offences will necessitate the application being placed before the Licensing and Regulatory Committee for a decision to be made. This may mean a delay in the processing of the application. If you are worried about a previous conviction Monmouthshire County Council has a convictions section in its policy, this may be useful to provide a guide to determining applications with previous convictions. Please note this is only a guidance document and each application is treated on its own merits. The Monmouthshire County Council’s Taxi and Private Hire Policy and Conditions 2020 document is sent to all new applicants by post. If you wish to view the Policy please contact the Licensing Section.
How do I renew my licence?
Private hire/hackney carriage driver’s licence must be renewed prior to their expiry date, we recommend applications are submitted 7 days before expiry. Failure to renew the licence on time will result in the Licensing Section failing to issue the licence as a renewal. To renew an expired licence the Licensing Section will request you pass a Knowledge Test before we re-issue the licence. To renew a licence you must submit the following to the licensing section;
- Renewal application form
- Recent passport sized photograph
- Refresher Safeguarding Certificate contact Torfaen Training on 01633 875929
- The required Licence Fee (£185)
If you would like to discuss a licensed taxi driver or view a register of all our licensed private hire/hackney carriage companies contact the licensing section.
Contact the Licensing Team
For any enquiries or complaints;
Licensing Section, Abergavenny Community Education Centre, Old Hereford Road, Abergavenny, NP7 6EL