Thinking of getting a new puppy?
Here are some important factors to consider before making that all important purchase:
- Can you meet the cost and commitment required for a dog when you return to work post COVID 19
- Research the breed and ensure the breed suits your lifestyle e.g. active vs low maintenance
- Research the breeder and ask lots of questions before you visit
- Ask if the puppy has been regularly wormed since birth
- Ensure that the puppy has been microchipped (this is a legal requirement)
- Ensure that the puppy will be at least 8 weeks old before they leave
- Always meet the puppy’s mum and ask her age (must be a minimum of 1 year old)
- When visiting the puppy look for interaction with mother and littermates
- Ask what food the puppy has been weaned onto and ensure the breeder provides enough of the puppy’s food to continue the same diet for a few days after going home
- Never feel pressured in to making a purchase – if it doesn’t look right or feel right then it probably isn’t right!
- If you do decide to buy, always arrange a veterinary health check within 48 hours of purchase