If you or your organisation wish to place or maintain private apparatus in the public highway you must obtain a licence from the relevant Highway Authority.  Such licences are granted under Section 50 of the New Road and Street Works Act 1991.  Applications must be made by the owner of the proposed apparatus and/or the land to which the apparatus will serve.

If you wish to excavate in the public highway for any other works that do not involve apparatus then you will need to make an application under Section 171 of the Highways Act 1980.

Before an application is submitted, you are required to telephone 01633 644644 to arrange a joint site meeting with an inspector. During the meeting the inspector will give advice on any potential issues and answer any questions you may have.

Application: Section 50 Licence

Application: Section 171 Licence