Skip to Main Content

A Sex Establishment Licence is required for

  • A sex Shop – any premises selling sex toys, books or videos. 
  • A Sex Cinema  – To run a venue where explicit films are shown to members of the public. 
  • A Sex Entertainment Venue – To run a venue that has sexual entertainment – any premises that on more than 12 occasions in a calendar year offer entertainment of an adult nature, for example strip shows, lap/pole/table dancing, peep shows and live sex shows.

How do I apply for a Sex Establishment Licence?

In order to be eligible to apply for a Sex Establishment Licence you must

  • Be 18 years of age or over.
  • Must not be disqualified from holding a licence.
  • Must have been resident in the UK at least six months immediately before the application or, if a body corporate, must be incorporated in the UK.
  • Must not have been refused the grant or renewal of a licence for the premises in question within the last 12 months unless the refusal has been reversed on appeal.

The application must also be accompanied by

  • A recent utility bill (no more than six months old) indicating your current home address and at least one of the following: (i) Valid passport (ii) Current UK Driving Licence (iii) Birth Certificate
  • A site plan (Scale 1:1250)
  • A plan of the premises (Scale 1:50) showing all entrances and exits of the building
  • Drawings showing the front elevation of existing and as proposed of the premises (Scale 1:50)

A public notice of the application must be advertised, which includes a notice in a local newspaper circulating within the County of Monmouthshire and a notice displayed on or near the premises.

The fee for the application is £475. 

Apply on-line for a Sex Establishment Licence.

To renew a Sex Establishment Licence

Once your licence has been granted it will last for a period of one year.  You will be required to renew the licence before the licence expires.

The fee to renew the Sex Establishment Licence is £171.

Apply on-line for an Application form to renew the Sex Establishment Licence

To change the details on the Sex Establishment Licence

Apply on-line to change details of the Sex Establishment Licence. For example transferring the premises usage.

Alternatively you can contact the Licensing Section for application forms.

This authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you have provided for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes. For further information, see NFI information on MCC website