Replacement Local Development Plan (RLDP) Preferred Strategy
Monmouthshire County Council is consulting on a new RLDP Preferred Strategy. The Preferred Strategy is the first statutory consultation stage in the Plan preparation process and provides the strategic direction for the development and use of land in Monmouthshire (excluding the area within the Brecon Beacons National Park) over the Plan period 2018 to 2033 and identifies how much growth is needed and where this growth will broadly be located. It represents the completion of a period of Pre-Deposit Plan preparation and engagement, the outcome of which has had a clear influence over the selection of the Preferred Strategy.
The overall aim of the Preferred Strategy is to:
- Identify key issues, challenges and opportunities for the County
- Develop a Vision and set of Objectives for the RLDP that respond to the key issues, challenges and opportunities
- Set out the preferred level of growth (housing and employment) and broad spatial distribution of this growth
- Set out the Preferred Strategic Site Allocations and Strategic Policies that will deliver/implement the Strategy
We are currently consulting on our:
A Summary of the Preferred Strategy is also available.
Further information with regard to the Initial Integrated Sustainability Appraisal and Habitats Regulations Assessment can be found by following this link.
A revised Delivery Agreement has been prepared alongside the new Preferred Strategy which amends the project timetable for Plan preparation.
Candidate Sites Register Consultation
As part of the Preferred Strategy consultation, we are also inviting comments on the candidate sites listed in the Candidate Sites Register which sets out the sites submitted during the Second Call for Candidate Sites. The candidate sites listed have been subject to a high-level assessment which has identified those sites that will and will not progress to the next stage of the candidate sites assessment process. This document should be read alongside the Candidate Sites Register. For further information please visit the Candidate Sites page.
The consultation documents are also available to view at:
- County Hall, Usk (please contact the Planning Policy Team to make an advance appointment to view the documents).
- MCC Community Hubs at Abergavenny, Caldicot, Chepstow, Monmouth and Usk, and Gilwern Library during normal opening hours.
How to have your say on the Preferred Strategy Documents
The Preferred Strategy, Initial Integrated Sustainability Appraisal, Habitats Regulations Assessment and Candidate Sites Register are available for public consultation from Monday 5th December 2022 to Monday 30th January 2023.
You can comment on the consultation documents via:
- The Preferred Strategy online representation form and/or the Candidate Sites Register online representation form or
- By using the standard Preferred Strategy representation form and/or standard Candidate Sites Register representation form
Completed forms can be emailed to email@example.com or posted to Planning Policy, Monmouthshire County Council, County Hall, The Rhadyr, Usk, NP15 1GA. To assist with the efficient processing of responses we would encourage you to submit your comments via email.
The deadline for submitting comments is midnight on Monday 30th January 2023. Responses cannot be accepted after this date. Please note that all comments received will be available for public inspection and cannot be treated as confidential.
Further advice can be obtained from the Planning Policy Team by email or telephone on 01633 644429.
Attend an Engagement Event
A number of ‘drop-in sessions’ are being held throughout the County during the consultation period where you can speak to a planning officer about the consultation documents.
- Virtual Engagement Event, 8th Dec 2022, 6pm to 7:30pm
- Abergavenny, Market Hall, 12th December 2022, 2pm to 7pm
- Monmouth, Shire Hall, 15th December 2022, 2pm to 7pm
- Usk, County Hall, 19th December 2022, 2pm to 7pm
- Virtual Engagement Event, 10th January 2023, 2pm to 3:30pm
- Magor, Baptist Church, 11th January 2023, 2pm to 7pm
- Chepstow, Board School, Bridge Street NP16 5EZ 12th January 2023, 2pm to 7pm
- Portskewett Church Hall 17th January 2pm to 7pm
- Caldicot, Choir Hall, 18th January 2023, 2pm to 7pm
- Raglan, Village Hall, 19th January 2023, 2pm to 7pm