Skip to Main Content

When would I need a Premises Licence?

A premises licence is required if you wish to provide one or more of the following licensable activities:

  • Supply of alcohol
  • Provision of regulated entertainment
  • Provision of late night refreshment (that is the sale of hot food or drink at any time between 11pm and 5am for consumption on or off the premises).

How do I apply for a Premises Licence?

View the Licensing Act Policy to help us deal with applications quickly and to also allow you to know at an early stage whether your application is likely to be supported.

Applications should be submitted with an operating schedule, a plan of the premises and a form of consent from the designated premises supervisor (for applications where the sale of alcohol will be a licensable activity).  A public notice must be advertised.

An operating schedule is your statement on how you intend to promote the four licensing objectives of the Licensing Act in your premises.   This schedule will formulate the conditions of your licence if granted.  The four licensing objectives are;

  • The prevention of crime and disorder
  • Public Safety
  • The prevention of public nuisance
  • The protection of children from harm

The fee for the application is dependent on the National Non Domestic Rate (Business Rates) and there is additional charge to advertise the public notice in a local newspaper.

Band A – £100            Band B – £190           Band C – £315

Band D – £450           Band E – £635

Apply on-line for an Application form for a Premises Licence.

Annual Fees for a Premises Licence.

You are required to pay an annual fee for every year your Premises Licence remains in force. You can make an on-line payment for the annual fee. The annual is dependent on the National Non Domestic Rate (Business Rates).

Band A – £70            Band B – £180           Band C – £295

Band D – £320           Band E – £350

How do I change my Premises Licence?

If you wish to change any aspect of your premises licence once it has been granted, you will need to apply to your local council for either a full or a minor variation.

Full variations

The full variation process is very similar to the application process for a new premises licence and the fee is the same. You should use this process if you want to make a substantial change to your licence, for example, increasing the hours when you sell alcohol or include a second floor to the licensed area. Apply on-line for a full variation to the Premises Licence.

Minor variations

If you want to make a small, low-risk change to your premises licence, you may be able to use the minor variation process. This is cheaper and quicker than the full variation application.

Small changes could include: removing a licensable activity, reducing the hours you sell alcohol, making small changes to the layout of your premises.

If you apply for a minor variation and your application is rejected, you will not be able to appeal. However, you can reapply using the full variation process. Apply on-line for a minor variation to the Premises Licence.

To change the designated premises supervisor on the premises licence

You can apply on-line to change the designated premises supervisor on the premises licence. The application must also be submitted with a form of consent from the designated premises supervisor. The designated premises supervisor must also be the holder of a Personal Licence.

To disapply the designated premises supervisor on the premises licence

If you have a community premises, it may be possible to remove the requirement to have a designated supervisor who is in charge of and responsible for the alcohol sales of a premise.

To transfer the premises licence

You can apply on-line to transfer the Premises Licence. The application must also be submitted with the form of consent to transfer the licence.

To change the name and address details on a premises licence

You can apply on-line to change the name and address details of a Premises Licence.

What happens if the premises licence holder dies, is declared mentally incapable or becomes insolvent?

A premises licence holder can be an individual or company. If the holder is an individual, the licence will lapse if they are mentally incapable, on their death or if they become insolvent. If the holder is a company, the licence will lapse on the dissolution or insolvency of that company. The licence will continue to lapse unless an interim authority notice has been submitted to the relevant licensing authority. The interim authority must be submitted within 28 days beginning the day after the licence lapsed. You can apply on-line for an application for an Interim Authority.

Once a person becomes the premises licence holder under an interim authority, they must inform the designated premises supervisor of this fact and the business may continue to operate as before. The maximum period for which an interim authority notice may have effect is 3 months. An application for transfer of the licence needs to be made within this time. Otherwise, the licence lapses and an application for a new premise licence would need to be made.

How can I be notified of changes to the licence of a property interest?

A person has a property interest in a premises providing he/she has:

  • A legal interest in the premises as freeholder or leaseholder
  • Is a legal mortgagee (within the meaning of the Law of Property Act 1925) in respect of the premises
  • Is in occupation of the premises
  • Has a prescribed interest in the premises

You can be notified of any changes to a premises licence issued by us. You can apply on-line for an application for a Notification of Interest in a premises. The notification of interest notice has effect for a period of 12 months beginning with the day it is received by the licensing authority.

Alternatively you can contact the Licensing Section for application forms.

Event Planning and Counter Terrorism Considerations

The threat from terrorism is real and unfortunately increasingly unpredictable, with public spaces and crowded areas being an attractive target for terrorists.  We would like you to consider what ‘you’ can do to reduce your risk and mitigate against the impact of such an attack.  As such, we recommend you carry out the ACT Awareness e-Learning on counter terrorism.

Guidance on Event Planning and Counter Terrorism Considerations can be found here.

This authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you have provided for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes. For further information, see NFI information on MCC website