Skip to Main Content

What to do if you have received a notice of eviction

If you have received a notice of eviction from your landlord you should contact us as soon as you can. The earlier you let us know, the longer we will have to support you to resolve your housing issue.

Once you have contacted us a Housing Options Officer will take a Homeless Application from you and check your notice to make sure it is valid. They will also give you advice. Depending on how long is left on your notice you might also be referred to a member of our Homeless Prevention Team (HPT). See more about the Homeless Prevention Team below.

What to do if you have been told by your landlord that they will be issuing a notice of eviction

If your Landlord has indicated an intention to issue you with a notice of eviction you should still contact us. Although our Housing Options officers can only work with households who are threatened with homelessness within 56 days you can be referred to the Housing Prevention Team who will be able to support you.

Homeless Prevention Team

The Homeless Prevention Team officers are based within the Housing Options Team and work with households who are threatened with or at risk of homelessness. They will work with you throughout your housing journey.

The Homeless Prevention Team can support you with the following:

  • Negotiating/ liaising with your landlord;
  • Maximising your income;
  • Helping you to look for a new home

Call: 01633 644 644


What to do if you are finding it difficult to make housing payments

Whether you’re a tenant in the social sector or private sector, or if you have a mortgage, it’s important that you talk to your landlord or bank at the earliest opportunity if you think you will have difficulty paying your housing costs, as they may be able to help you.

If this is not an option, or you need additional support, you can apply for help with your housing costs through the Discretionary Housing Payments scheme or Homelessness Prevention Fund (see more below).

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP)

Discretionary Housing Payments are short term payments to help you meet your rent. They can be used to top up rents or for rent if you find your circumstances suddenly change.

To get a Discretionary Housing Payment you will need to either already be receiving the old scheme Housing Benefit or the housing contribution element through Universal Credit and you will need to prove that you are in need of extra help.

Torfaen Council administer Discretionary Housing Payments on our behalf. You can find out more information on Discretionary Housing Payments and how to apply here (click to visit the Discretionary Housing Payments website).

Discretionary Homelessness Prevention Fund (DHPF)

Monmouthshire Council currently has a small fund to assist those threatened with homelessness to either help you keep your existing accommodation or assist with accessing alternative accommodation.

You can apply for help from this fund even if you do not receive state benefits or if you own your property. You will need to show evidence to us that you are at risk of homelessness.

To find out if you are eligible for a discretionary housing payment and to make an application get in touch with the Housing Options Team.

Additional Support

There is more support available throughout the Council, for more information click here to view Cost of Living Support.

Monmouthshire Council’s Gateway commissions a number of support services run by external providers. This support can be accessed if you have any problems that could affect your housing. You do not have to be homeless or facing homelessness to access support.

Telephone : 01633 740730 Email :

Other organisations

Shelter Cymru

Citizens Advice