Whether you’re a tenant in the social sector or private sector, or if you have a mortgage, it’s important that you talk to your landlord or bank at the earliest opportunity if you think you will have difficulty paying your rent and bills, as they may be able to help you.

You could also be entitled to the following to help with your housing costs:

Discretionary Housing Payments:  These can provide extra money when your local authority decides that you need extra help to meet your housing costs on top of what benefit support you already receive through the DWP (Department of Work & Pensions).

To get a Discretionary Housing Payment, you will need to either already be receiving the old scheme Housing Benefit or the housing contribution element through Universal Credit.

In addition, the Homelessness Prevention Fund can help people to keep their existing accommodation or assist with access alternative accommodation.

To find out if you are eligible for a discretionary housing payment or support from the Homelessness Prevention Fund contact Monmouthshire Council on 01633 644644  https://www.monmouthshire.gov.uk/housing/

Tenancy Hardship Grant

The tenancy hardship grant  is aimed at tenants in the private sector, who are in rent arrears because of Covid-19, have not been able to address their rent arrears, and now face homelessness. The reasons someone may not have been able to pay their rent during Covid-19 could be many and varied. Examples include: 

  • Increase in utilities due to spending more time at home
  • Increase in food bills due to dependants spending more time at home (e.g. school closures)
  • Being furloughed
  • Only in receipt of Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) whilst isolating or experiencing Covid-19
  • Working fewer hours than usual (due to being on a zero hour contract, or closure of the employer)

For more information and to find out if you might be eligible for this fund contact Monmouthshire’s Housing Options Team on 01633 644644 or email HousingOptions@monmouthshire.gov.uk

Citizens’ Advice:

Citizens’ Advice can provide good advice on your right to a secure home. National advice number: 0300 330 2117 or contact your local office (details on monmouthshire.gov.uk/money-advice )


Support to stay in your home:  

Monmouthshire Council’s Housing Support Team aim to help anybody who might be at risk of losing their home for any reason and can provide advice, liaise with your landlord or mortgage lender, or sometimes even provide financial help.  The team can also help you to deal with the reasons behind you struggling to pay your rent or mortgage – such as mental health worries or difficulties accessing the financial support that you’re entitled to.

To contact the team telephone 01633 740730 or email housingsupportservice2@monmouthshire.gov.uk You can find more information on how the team can help by visiting Monmouthshire.gov.uk/housing-support

Housing Associations:

If you are a tenant of a social landlord in Monmouthshire – such as Melin, Monmouthshire Housing Association, Pobl or United Welsh – you can access help and support with:

  • Employment advice
  • Debt advice
  • Tenancy Support
  • Budgeting
  • Benefits Advice
  • Advice on utilities
  • A one off hardship payment

Contacts for each of the larger housing associations in Monmouthshire are:

Pobl: contact@poblgroup.co.uk 01633 212375

Monmouthshire Housing Association:  0345 677 2277 or moneywise@monmouthshirehousing.co.uk

Melinmoneyadvice@melinhomes.co.uk or 01495 745910