Skip to Main Content

The full Council Tax bill assumes that there are two adults living in a property. If only one adult is living in the property, the bill may be reduced by 25%.

Armed forces personnel may be entitled to a discount of 50% on their home if as a result of their job they are required to live in accommodation provided by the Ministry of Defence and their home is no longer any ones permanent residence.

If the people living with you fall into any of the following categories, or there is only one resident over the age of 18 living in the property you may be entitled to a 25% discount on your bill if you meet the relevant criteria. If you require more information please contact us.

  • People in prison or detention
  • People who are severely mentally impaired
  • People for whom you receive Child Benefit
  • Carers (certain types)
  • People living in hostels
  • Students, apprentices, youth trainees and student nurses
  • People permanently resident in a care or nursing home
  • People permanently resident in a hospital
  • Non British spouses of students
  • School Leavers
  • Religious Communities
  • Care leavers up to their 25th birthday

Please note – If your application for a discount is successful and you currently receive any other Council Tax discounts or reductions, your entitlement to these will be recalculated.

Reductions for people with disabilities

If a property has certain features for a disabled person to use, it is possible that we can tax the property at a lower band than that at which it has been valued. However, we will not change the valuation list itself.

Who Qualifies?

To qualify for this reduction, the disabled person, who does not need to be the person responsible for paying Council Tax, must be substantially disabled.

The property must have one of the following features.

  • A room other than a kitchen, bathroom or lavatory which is used mainly by the disabled person.
  • A second bathroom or kitchen provided for the disabled person
  • Enough floor space to allow the disabled person to use a wheelchair

Examples of rooms set aside for a disabled person to use could be one used for dialysis equipment. (There must be a causative link between the disability and the requirement for the use of the room).

For more information contact:

Revenues & Benefits

Tel: 01633 644630