To become a registered Childminder in Monmouthshire, please read the following information:
1) Download your Childminder Brief below 
Before becoming a childminder in Monmouthshire, you will need to understand all the requirements you must undertake.  Download the Childminder Brief at the bottom of this page for everything you need to know, and contact Rachel D’Orsey or Sian Hickey, Early Years and Childcare Officer, on 01633 644527 who will arrange a meeting to discuss the process with you.

2) The IHC & PCP Childminding Course 
After you have complete the brief check list and agreement and received your certificate, you will need to complete an online home based childcare course (IHC) and Preparing for Childminder Practice (PCP) before you can become a childminder.  You will need to complete this course regardless of any other childcare qualifications you may have.  
From September 2019 there were changes to the qualification units required to register as a childminder or become an approved nanny in Wales. The  will no longer be delivered and will be replaced by units from the new Level 3 Children’s Care, Play, Learning and Development qualification. Those looking to become a registered childminder in Wales will have to hold both the Introduction to home-based childcare unit and the Preparing for childminder practice unit. Those looking to become an approved nanny in Wales will only have to hold the Introduction to home-based childcare unit.

The IHC & PCP  training course can be completed in your own time. It may take several weeks or as long as a year depending on your pace. PACEY occasionally run a IHC & PCP class you can attend with part online, this will cost £390 plus VAT.  The online course currently costs £360 plus VAT. Contact PACEY for details of when and where face to face courses will be running.

To register for the full IHC course, please contact PACEY on 02920 351407 or   You will receive log in details via email and instructions for completing the course.   Read about the course for Childminders here. You can also read all the requirements in the National Minimum Standard for Childcare Provision document below.
Monmouthshire Early Years may be able to reimburse you part of the cost of the IHC course upon registration.  Please keep any receipts.
3) Become a First Aider
To become a childminder, it is a requirement to have a first aid certificate. You are required to source your own first aid training course. First Aid Training course details can be found here.   All first aid training costs will need to be met by yourself.
4) Food Safety and Safeguarding 
It is highly recommended that you complete a Level 2 Food Safety course.  Training information is available here. 
Monmouthshire County Council may also be able to provide Level 1 Safeguarding Training. Please contact Heather Heaney on 01633 644392 for dates.
5) Complete the Application Form to become a Childminder
During the process of becoming a childminder, you will be required to complete a 52 page application form (online or hard copy, both available here).  The application form will cover your personal details, qualifications and experience, your plans for your childminding business and the care you will be providing,  how you plan to meet regulations and standards, your plans for meeting individual children’s needs and provide a quality service and what procedures you will put in place.   Your application form needs to be completed in full.  Any gaps left in the form may mean your application will not be processed.
You will also be required to have a DBS check undertaken.  CIW currently pay for these.  All members of your household who are aged 16 and over will need to have a DBS check.  The DBS application forms will need to be taken to the CIW Head Office in Merthyr, CF48 1UZ, with your identification to be approved and submitted.   It is recommended that the DBS check is undertaken at the same time as your application form so they can be submitted together.
6) Register as a Childminder
By law, you are required to register your childminding service with the Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW). They will inspect your home and individuals living with you (over the age of 16) and with issue you with a DBS check.   CIW can be contacted on 0300 062 8757.
7) Receive your Start-Up Grant
Monmouthshire Early Years may be able to reimburse you for a PACEY Quality Start start up pack which includes your 1st year’s membership to PACEY, public liability insurance and a fire blanket.  Please contact Monmouthshire Early Years on to request an application form.
 8) Advertise your Childminding Service for Free
Monmouthshire Family Information Service (FIS) provide information to the public about childcare available in their area. Contact the FIS on 01633 644527 / to receive a form for you to complete your details about opening hours, charges per hour etc. Choose to advertise on this website and in hard copy parent guides.  The Family Information Service also needs your details to inform the Welsh Government in the annual Childcare Sufficiency Assessment. 
9) Working as a Childminder
CIW will be in close contact with you as you work as a childminder, inspecting you every two years to check that you are achieving minimum standards. Your first aid certificate will need to be renewed every three years as will your DBS disclosure and your food hygiene certificate.
The process of becoming a childminder from starting the IHC & PCP course to receiving your Registration number can take anything from 12 weeks to 2 years.  This can depend on the speed at which you complete the IHC& PCP and the application form and the waiting list that CIW has for applicants wishing to register.
If you have any other questions about registering as a childminder in Monmouthshire, please email or call 01633 644527.