Monmouthshire / Sir Fynwy

Pay your council tax

There are several different ways of paying your council tax.

You can make:

  • one payment
  • two equal payments
  • or spread the cost over ten or 12 months by way of instalments

Payment in full

Due to low interest rates, the discount for paying your council tax early and in full has been discontinued.

Payment in instalments

  • You may pay in two half yearly instalments in April and October, although you should advise the Council if you intend to pay in this way
  • the statutory scheme gives you the right to pay by ten instalments from April to January or twelve instalments

If you become liable for council tax later in the year, you may be entitled to fewer instalments.


The council is obliged to take recovery action on any instalments that are in arrears and will issue a reminder.

If it becomes necessary to issue a summons, costs will be incurred and you will lose the right to continue to pay by instalments during that financial year.

Further costs are incurred if collection is passed to a bailiff.

Methods of payment

To make a payment to the council, use one of the options below:

  • Pay online
  • By direct debit
  • By cash/cheque (by post)
  • By debit card or credit card
  • Automated telephone payment

Difficulties paying your council tax

Payments should be received on or before the due dates as indicated on your council tax bill. Your right to pay by instalments could be lost if reminder notices are issued for overdue payments. If it is necessary to issue a summons (for hearing at the Magistrates Court), the full balance will be payable and costs of £50.00 will be incurred.

If the summons is not paid in full, including the costs by the hearing date, the council will proceed with the case and request a liability order, adding a further cost of £20.00.

A liability order enables the council to take further action to recover the debt.

When we get a liability order, we will advise you by letter. When you receive that letter you should contact us immediately to discuss your situation and make an arrangement to pay the amount you owe.

You can contact us for advice at any time if you fall behind with your payments. If you have received a summons, you can make an arrangement for payment but you will still have to pay the summons costs. If not paid in full by the hearing date, we will still request the liability order from the Magistrates Court.

Before you contact us, it may help you to make a list of your income and outgoings and work out how much you can afford to repay each week or month.

What happens if I default on the arrangement?

If you get behind with the arrangement and we do not hear from you, we can collect the money you owe in one of the following ways:

  1. We can take the money from your wages
  2. We can take the money from your benefits
  3. We can use bailiffs

What happens if you pass my account to the bailiffs?

Once we have passed your account to the bailiffs, they will contact you. If you have any questions, you should contact the bailiffs.

The liability order allows the bailiff to remove goods from your property so we can sell them and use the money to pay the council tax you owe. In practice this will only happen in extreme cases, as the bailiff would rather come to an arrangement with you to clear the debt over a period of time.

Bailiff companies are entitled to levy fees and these will be payable to the bailiff in addition to the council tax charge and summons costs.

It is important that you contact us promptly if you are having difficulties with your payments so that we can provide advice and support.



Phone: 0845 3723601


Council Tax
PO Box 106
NP26 9AN

3 Responses

  1. ceejay2610 says:

    I wish to pay my mothers council tax payments via my account. Can you please email me a direct debit mandate to complete?

  2. Joanna Goodwin says:

    You can find a Direct Debit mandate form here:

    For information about setting up your direct debit or for other payment options, please visit our Paying bills and fines page

  3. jont2047 says:

    Hi, Can we pay council Tax by standing order? If so what are your bank details?
    Many thanks

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Latest website updates

July 28, 2014 - Council parks scoop three prestigious Green Flag awards - Monmouthshire County Council is celebrating the news that three of its parks have been granted the coveted Green... Continue reading Council parks scoop three prestigious Green Flag awards

July 25, 2014 - Community Cafe – home made food run by volunteers - Held in Caldicot Leisure Centre every Thursday, call 01291 426852 for more details or to book a space... Continue reading Community Cafe – home made food run by volunteers

July 25, 2014 - Food Coop – buy local fresh produce - Held in Caldicot CEC every Friday, call 01291 426852 for more details

What you're saying

ann678 commented on Newport Bus in partnership with Monmouthshire Council arranges replacement bus service:

I live in MAGOR and found the 74 to spytty very good for the old age pensions and disabled they could go do there shopping in Tesco and mark spencers there is no shops in NEWPORT to do your groceries please bring it back so my husband who is disabled can go out again and every one else Continue reading 'Newport Bus in partnership with Monmouthshire Council arranges replacement bus service' >

nashley commented on Council driving course aims to boost young people’s skills and safer motoring:

Great initiative! Did you get much of a turn out? Always good to see local gov helping out younger drivers! Ashley - Continue reading 'Council driving course aims to boost young people’s skills and safer motoring' >