The Register of Common Land and Town and Village Greens was first established under the Commons Registration Act 1965. The Commons Act 2006 imposes a duty on registration authorities to continue to maintain the register established under the Act.

You can inspect the Register of Common Land and Town and Village Greens, and any applications in respect of amending the register, during normal office hours. Office hours are:

Monday to Friday 9.30am-12.00 noon and 2.00pm-4.30pm (except public holidays).

You can inspect the Register at:

Land Charges Section
Monmouthshire County Council
County Hall
NP15 1GA

Amendment of Register – Rights of Common

Section 13 of the Commons Registration Act 1965 gives the registration authority limited power to amend the information held in the register.

Rights Section: when grazing rights are apportioned, severed, extinguished or released, varied or transferred.

Whenever land with attached rights is subdivided and sold as separate plots, some rights of common must be apportioned on a pro-rata basis according to acreage.

Section 9 of the Commons Act 2006 prohibits the severance of rights of common (subject to several exceptions) with retrospective effect from the 28th June 2005.

Application to amend the Rights Section of the register must be made by means of a statutory CR Form 19, “Application for the amendment of a register in relation to a right of common”.

There is currently no fee for making a CR Form 19 application.

Registering a ‘New’ Town or Village Green

Regulations in respect of Section 15 of the Commons Act 2006 came into effect in Wales on the 6th September 2007. The regulations introduced interim arrangements and a new statutory application form, Form 44.

Applications to register a ‘new’ town or village green must be made on Form 44 – ‘Application for the registration of land as a Town or Village Green’ – supported by a statutory declaration and further evidence. This usually takes the form of witness statements.

There is currently no fee for making an application.

If you would like further information, or have any comments to make about our service, please email Land Charges or phone 01633 644073/644075.