The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency have now approved the Pfizer BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine. We now know we have a safe and effective COVID-19 vaccine which can be used in Wales.
The advice to those who are clinically extremely vulnerable, previously ‘shielding’ has changed from today (22/12/20) to advise those within this group that they should no longer attend work or school outside the home. This is particularly the case for those whose work requires them to be in regular or sustained contact with other people, or where individuals share a poorly ventilated workspace for long periods. Letters from the Chief Medical Officer for Wales (CMO) will be issued confirming this advice but will take some time to reach individuals due to the festive period. These letters can be used as evidence for the purposes of claiming statutory sick pay.
This decision has been taken based on number of factors but has been influenced most recently by the significant recent growth in rates of infection, possibly due to the new variant of the coronavirus. We have also taken account of the pressures we see on our health service with increasing hospitalisations. This advice will be reviewed on a three weekly basis aligned to the Welsh Government reviews of alert levels across Wales.
For the full statement: https://gov.wales/written-statement-new-advice-those-who-are-clinically-extremely-vulnerable-previously-shielding?_ga&fbclid=IwAR31SDcETcUuGdSNWHVUfmlrH3JqTK0sXAY-YNCJV7JLWpAhoSM1xnOFtiM
As of midnight 19/12/2020 all of Wales was put into Alert Level 4.
For full information visit https://gov.wales/alert-level-4-guide
What you must do at alert level 4
At alert level 4 you must:
- Follow social distancing rules with people you don’t live with or who are not in your support bubble.
- Wear a face covering (if you are able to) in all indoor public places.
- Stay at home.
- Not create an extended household (single adults or single parents may join with one other household to form an exclusive support bubble).
- Meet only the people you live with or your support bubble indoors.
- Meet only your household or support bubble in private gardens.
- Meet only your household or support bubble outdoors.
- Work from home if you can.
- Not travel without reasonable excuse.
- Not travel internationally without reasonable excuse.
What can open at alert level 4
- Schools, colleges and childcare providers (informal childcare should only be essential only).
- Higher Education Institutions (mix of in-person and remote learning).
- Places of worship.
- Community centres – limited opening (for example, for essential public services).
- Playgrounds and public parks
- Weddings and funerals (ceremony limit set by venue).
What must be closed at alert level 4
- Venues for events and conferences
- Theatres and concert halls
- Indoor and outdoor visitor attractions
- Entertainment venue
- Wedding reception or wake
- Sport courts, golf courses
- Leisure and fitness facilities
- Outdoor visitor attractions
- Holiday accommodation (open only if essential only, for example for work or other reasons)
- Hospitality (except for takeaway and delivery)
- Close contact services
- Non-essential retail (click and collect allowed)
- Licenced premises. Takeaway and delivery only between 6am and 10pm
- Libraries and archive services (click and collect only)
- Organised activities limited to public and voluntary services
- Nightclubs and adult entertainment venues
If you’ve got any symptoms of coronavirus, you must get a test and your whole household must self-isolate immediately.
- New continuous cough
- High temperature
- Loss of taste and/or smell
Book a test here https://gov.wales/apply-coronavirus-covid-19-test
If you are asked to self-isolate, you should do so to prevent further spread of the virus. Please remember to self-isolate while awaiting the results of a test.
For information which will answer a lot of questions, please visit
- Click here to view the latest Welsh Government Advice
- Public health wales information
- Aneurin Bevan University Health Board
View our Coronavirus Strategy here: Coronavirus Strategy
Click on the tiles below to find out specific information for services
Recycling & Waste
Transport and Travel
Building Closures & Re-opening Info
Community Hubs & Libraries
Early Years Childcare
Support for Shielded People