We have a statutory duty to secure sufficient and suitable school places for children within the County, and in doing so ensure that resources and facilities are efficiently utilised to deliver the education opportunities that our children deserve.
As part of the School Standards and Organisation (Wales) Act 2013 we have a statutory duty to consult with members of the community and appropriate stakeholders when considering any significant school organisation proposals.
We are currently consulting on the proposal to implement a new delivery model to meet the needs of Children and Young People with additional learning needs and those presenting with challenging behaviour.
The consultation document clarifies our aims for the future, identifies the key principles behind our proposal, and provides an analysis of both current and projected need. It refers to the Welsh Government plans to transform expectations, experiences and outcomes for children and young people with additional learning needs (ALN) specifically through the introduction of new legislation under the Additional Learning Needs and Tribunal (Wales) Act planned for implementation from September 2020.
The Local Authority will also be engaging with Children and Young People throughout the consultation period, talking through the Children and Young People’s consultation document.
The consultation period ended on the 27th May 2018 and the consultation report has been published.
On the 5th September 2018, cabinet agreed to publish the following proposals by way of statutory notice. Please click on the link to see the notice in full. The objection period has now closed an objection report will be published here shortly.
- Change the type of provision offered at Pembroke Primary School’s Special Needs Resource Base
- Change the type of provision offered at Deri View Primary School’s Special Needs Resource Base
- Change the type of provision offered at Overmonnow Primary School’s Special Needs Resource Base and to increase the capacity of the SNRB from 20 to 24 once implemented.
- Change the type of provision offered at Caldicot School’s Special Needs Resource Base (SNRB)
- Change the type of provision offered at Monmouth Comprehensive School’s Special Needs Resource Base.