Replacement Local Development Plan (RLDP) Preferred Strategy and Second Call for Candidate Sites
The Preferred Strategy is the first statutory consultation stage in the RLDP preparation process. The Preferred Strategy provides the strategic direction for the development and use of land in Monmouthshire (excluding the area within the Brecon Beacons National Park) over the Plan period 2018 to 2033 and identifies how much growth is needed and where this growth will broadly be located. It represents the completion of a period of Pre-Deposit Plan preparation and engagement, the outcome of which has had a clear influence over the selection of the Preferred Strategy.
The overall aim of the Preferred Strategy is to:
- Identify key issues, challenges and opportunities for the County
- Develop a Vision and set of Objectives for the RLDP that respond to the key issues, challenges and opportunities
- Set out the preferred level of growth (housing and employment) and broad spatial distribution of this growth
- Set out the Strategic Policies that will deliver/implement the Strategy
We undertook statutory consultation on the Preferred Strategy along with the Initial Integrated Sustainability Appraisal and Habitats Regulations Assessment documents in July – August 2021 and this consultation closed on 31st August 2021. An Easy Read version, animation and Executive Summary of the Preferred Strategy are also available.
Further information with regard to the Initial Integrated Sustainability Appraisal and Habitats Regulations Assessment can be found by following this link.
The Preferred Strategy background papers and supporting documents can be viewed here. A Self-Assessment of the Preferred Strategy against the Tests of Soundness and a copy of the formal notice of the consultation are also available.
Community Engagement Events
Two virtual engagement events took place during the consultation period, whereby officers presented the Preferred Strategy and responded to questions. The virtual sessions on the Council’s Preferred Strategy are available to view via the links below:
- Virtual Engagement Session (Recording) – 8th July 2021 6pm – 7:30pm.
- Virtual Engagement Session (Recording)– 20th July 2021 3pm – 4:30pm.
A number of ‘drop-in sessions’ were also held throughout the County during the consultation period Planning Officers were available by appointment. The face to face ‘drop in sessions’ were held in the following locations on the following dates:
- Usk – Sessions House – 12th July 2021 1pm – 7pm.
- Chepstow – Drill Hall – 14th July 2021 1pm -7pm.
- Magor – Baptist Church – 15th July 2021 1pm – 7pm.
- Monmouth – Leisure Centre – 19th July 2021 1pm -7pm.
- Caldicot – Choir Hall – 21st July 2021 1pm – 7pm.
- Abergavenny – St Mary’s Priory Centre – 27th July 2021 1pm-7pm.
- Raglan – Village Hall – 29th July 2021 – 1pm-7pm.
All comments received will be considered and addressed in a Report of Consultation in due course and will be taken into account in the preparation of the Deposit RLDP.
Second Call for Candidate Sites
A Second Call for Candidate Sites took place alongside the consultation on the Preferred Strategy . These sites will be logged and included in a Candidate Sites Register which will be published on the Candidate Sites page in due course.