A ‘Qualifying Club’ can carry out the supply of Alcohol and the Provision of Regulated Entertainment if they hold a Club Premises Certificate.

Who can qualify for a Club Premises Certificate?

A Club must meet the following conditions in order to be considered a qualifying club, as follows:

  • A person may not be given membership or as a candidate for membership to any membership privileges without an interval of at least two days from their membership application or nomination and their membership being granted
  • That Club rules state that those becoming member without nomination or application cannot have membership privileges for at least two days between them becoming members and being admitted to the club
  • That the club is established and conducted in good faith
  • That the club has at least 25 members
  • That alcohol is only supplied to members on the premises on behalf of the club

Additional conditions in relation to the supply of alcohol in a club

Additional conditions in relation to the supply of alcohol must be complied with. These conditions are as follows:

  • That alcohol purchased for and supplied by the club is done by members of the club who are over 18 years of age and are elected to do so by the members
  • That no person at the expense of the club receives any commission, percentage or other similar payment in regard to the purchase of alcohol by the club
  • That there are no arrangements for anyone to receive a financial benefit from supplying alcohol, apart from any benefit to the club or any person indirectly from the supply giving a gain from running the club

How do I apply for a Club Premises Certificate?

View the Licensing Act Policy to help us deal with applications quickly and to also allow you to know at an early stage whether your application is likely to be supported.

Applications should be submitted with a plan of the premises, copy of the rules of the club and club operating schedule. A public notice must be advertised.

A club operating schedule is a document which must be in a specific format and which includes information on:

  • The activities of the club
  • The times the activities are to take place
  • Other opening times
  • If alcohol supplies are for consumption on or off the premises or both the steps that the club propose to take to promote the licensing objectives
  • Any other information that is required.
  • The fee for the application is dependent on the National Non Domestic Rate (Business Rates) and there is additional charge to advertise the public notice.

Band A – £100            Band B – £190           Band C – £315

Band D – £450           Band E – £635

Apply on-line for an Application for a Club Premises Certificate.

Annual Fees for a Club Premises Certificate.

You are required to pay an annual fee for every year your Club Premises Certificate remains in force. You can make an on-line payment for the annual fee. The annual is dependent on the National Non Domestic Rate (Business Rates).

Band A – £70            Band B – £180           Band C – £295

Band D – £320           Band E – £350

How do I change my Club Premises Certificate?

If you wish to change any aspect of your club premises certificate once it has been granted, you will need to apply to your local council for either a full or a minor variation.

Full variations

The full variation process is very similar to the application process for a new club premises certificate and the fee is the same. You should use this process if you want to make a substantial change to your licence, for example, increasing the hours when you sell alcohol. Apply on-line for a full variation to the Club Premises Certificate.

Minor variations

If you want to make a small, low-risk change to your club premises certificate, you may be able to use the minor variation process. This is cheaper and quicker than the full variation application.

Small changes could include: removing a licensable activity, reducing the hours you sell alcohol, making small changes to the layout of your premises.

If you apply for a minor variation and your application is rejected, you will not be able to appeal. However, you can reapply using the full variation process. Apply on-line for a minor variation to the Club Premises Certificate.

Notification of change of details or club rules

If you want to change the details of your club or notify a change of your club rules you can apply on-line to change the details of your Club Premises Certificate.

Alternatively you can contact the Licensing Section for application forms.

This authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you have provided for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes. For further information, see NFI information on MCC website