What businesses can open and trade?

For a full list of business closures please visit – https://gov.wales/coronavirus-covid-19-closure-businesses-and-premises-html

Most businesses are now able to open and trade. Theatres, Concert Halls and other live or recorded music venues are required to remain closed.

Nighclubs may trade as a bar without music.

If you wish to apply for a license for on street seating/tables click on the MyMonmouthshire ‘chatbot’ icon on the bottom right corner of this page.

Can I see official guidance?

The Welsh Assembly Government have produced a helpful Question and Answer document for Hospitality businesses – https://gov.wales/hospitality-and-retail-businesses-frequently-asked-questions

The Welsh Assembly Government have confirmed this guidance has been agreed by the Welsh Ministers and the Chief Medical Officer for Wales – https://www.ukhospitality.org.uk/page/WalesGuidance

Can my toilets be used?

Yes and you should open these facilities to customers if you are providing on sale consumption of food and drink.  Please view government guidance on toilets – https://gov.wales/providing-safer-toilets-public-use-coronavirus-html

Can customers order inside?

Inside and outdoor food consumption is permitted in Wales. Licensed premises are required to provide table service and ordering for all customers and use of the bar is prohibited.

Asking for contact details

If pre-booked take name and contact number of the lead person making the booking.  With walk-ins, when the member of staff shows a group of customers to a table or they approach to take the order take name and contact number of the lead person in that group. Please download the NHS QR posters to enable NHS Covid App users to check in.

The Information Commissioners Officer have confirmed this is suitable under General Data Protection Regulations, for more information please visit – https://ico.org.uk/global/data-protection-and-coronavirus-information-hub/coronavirus-recovery-data-protection-advice-for-organisations/collecting-customer-and-visitor-details-for-contact-tracing/


Background recorded music is permitted only.  Any venues providing recorded or live music for customers entertainment will be requested to close.

The higher the volume the more likely customers and staff will shout to be heard and close the gap to be heard over the music.  Live bands must not be booked for customers entertainment during these times.  Hopefully this will be a temporary measure.


Gazebos, marquees, parasols and other shelters are permitted if there is three or preferable four open sides.  The sides open increase fresh air and help kill any virus on any surfaces.  We recommend parasols be put down when a table is not in use to allow sunlight to help kill the virus, allow customers the choice to have it up or down.  Lighter coloured coverings allow more light to pass through, therefore lighter shaded material is preferred to dark coverings.

With winter approaching any outdoor areas with less than 3 open sides must be considered indoor hospitality areas with regular cleaning.

What are the new closure times?

All premises licensed for the consumption of alcohol to be consumed on the premises must stop serving alcohol at 10pm and all customers must leave the premises or licensed area of the premises by 10:20pm. This includes pubs, restaurants, clubs and other bars.

Licensed off-sale premises such as supermarkets or convenience stores may stay open however must also stop selling alcohol at 10pm.

Hotels are able to provide food and soft drink room service after 10pm however the licensed bar areas must stop serving at 10pm and have no customers inside the bar at 10:20pm.

Do I need to do a risk assessment?

Yes, see our template risk assessment – https://www.monmouthshire.gov.uk/shop-local/for-businesses

We recommend you also prepare the indoor area now and include this in the risk assessment ready for reopening.  Possibly on the 3rd August.  Premises should provide the risk assessment to staff and the guidance asks you to make it available to customers.  Premises may consider publishing it on the website.