Skip to Main Content

Help with paying Your Council Tax / Rent

If you are having difficulty paying your Council Tax please contact us. We can look at your potential entitlement to Council Tax Reduction (or Free School Meals if you have children) if you are on a low income or social security benefits such as Universal Credit. We may be able to spread your instalments over twelve months to reduce your monthly payment or defer your initial instalments to make it easier for you to pay at a later date.

If you need to make a new claim for help with your rent please claim Universal Credit. If you receive Housing Benefit or Universal Credit and have rent arrears or an ongoing shortfall in your rent the Council administers discretionary housing payments to help you manage your housing costs.

We will work with you to ensure that all Information about financial support to help you during this exceptional period is made available. This is a very difficult and stressful time for everyone and we will ensure we help where we can. Where you are able to pay please pay, the Council is reliant on the revenue received from Council Tax to pay towards the services that we provide. Further Government announcements are expected over the next few days. 

To claim Council Tax Reduction, Free School Meals, Discretionary Housing Payments online go to

To claim Universal Credit

Contact us to make new Benefit claims via free-phone 0300  4563559 or email

For Council Tax call  01633 644630  or email

You can also email our main email account