Skip to Main Content

What is the difference between Planning (Development Management) and Building Control?

Planning is about requesting formal permission for the erection or alteration of buildings or similar development, including changing land use. The permission should be in place before you start the work.

Building Control is about maintaining Building Standards within the Building industry to meet current Building Regulations for the development and build process. A Building Regulations application is usually submitted after you have received Planning permission but before you start the work.

Some work will require Planning permission but may not require Building Regulations (for example, advertisements) and other work will require Building Regulations and may not require planning permission (for example, some internal structural alterations).

What is the difference between a Building Notice and a Full Plans application?

A Building Notice is an application suited to smaller works, for example drainage works, structural openings, small simple extensions. It has no formal approval however, you will receive an acceptance letter. The details of the work are discussed on site as the work progresses.

A Full Plans application is where detailed plans and specifications are submitted and checked for compliance to the Building Regulations before the work commences (e.g. specifications are approved before building). A decision notice is issued which may be in the form of an approval, conditional approval or a rejection. We may ask for amendments before making a decision.

How long does my Full Plans application take to process?

Your Full Plans application currently takes on average 4 days to receive a decision

How long does my Building Notice application take to process?

Your Building Notice application currently takes on average 2 days to receive an acceptance letter.

At what stages does my work need to be inspected?

Once you’ve made a Building Regulations application, we will send you information in your Building Notice acceptance letter or Full Plans decision letter (depending on your application type) on when we need to visit site. For example, at commencement of works, at excavation of foundations, at roof level, associated drainage works etc.

How quickly will you turn up on site?

Usually the same day or the next day

How long does my Completion Certificate take to receive?

You should receive your Completion Certificate the same day or the next day of your final inspection (if everything is satisfactory).

I may be building near or over a drainage pipe and manhole cover. Do i need to contact Welsh Water?

If you’re planning to extend your property or build a new one, you’ll need to make sure you know if there are any public sewers or drains on your land. If there is pipework there it could affect your build, so it’s a good idea to find out before you begin. If you plan to build over, or within 3 meters of one of Welsh Waters sewer pipes or drains, you’ll need to secure Welsh Water Dwr Cymru consent.
On 1 October 2011, the ownership of shared drains and connections which extend beyond a property boundary transferred to the local water authority. For further info, please click here

What is the Competent Persons Scheme (CPS)?

The Competent Persons Scheme was introduced by the Government and allows a tradesperson/installer to self-certify that their work complies to the Building Regulations. For more info click here. Some of the approved bodies are as follows:

Gas Safe – for gas appliances
Oftec – for oil appliances
HETAS – for solid fuel appliances
Elecsa – electrical work
NICEIC– electrical work
FENSA – glazing installers
CERTASS – glazing installers

How do I check if a tradesperson/installer is part of the Governments Competent Persons Scheme (CPS)?

You can check if a tradesperson is registered here and to find a registered electrician, click here.