We don’t yet know what the precise impact of a deal or no deal Brexit will be on the people living in Monmouthshire; on businesses operating in Monmouthshire and on the public services we provide, but, the council has been taking practical steps and considering mitigations to ensure the continued delivery of our services to residents. Monmouthshire County Council (MCC) has established a working group to look at potential BREXIT impacts led by Frances Williams – Chief Officer Enterprise and Cath Fallon – Head of Enterprise and Community Development.

We are working closely with our public sector partners and other organisations across Wales to put in place plans to try to reduce any impacts as far as possible and protect the smooth running of our services. At this stage, there are no immediate actions people need to take to prepare for a no deal outcome.

As things stand, the UK will leave the European Union on March 29, 2019. If a transitional deal is not agreed in the next couple of weeks, then most or all of our current arrangements for dealing with the EU will stop. This could have significant implications. This webpage will be updated on a regular basis as our preparations evolve and we will signpost information from other public sector organisations who will be providing public information from their areas.

NHS and social care

In the event of a no deal, maintaining the health of our residents is vital. You can read more about Welsh Government preparations for the Welsh NHS and social care, including work across the UK to maintain the supply of medicines and drugs for patients in Wales in the event of a no deal outcome.

The advice from Welsh Government is that people should not stockpile medication as this could cause supply disruption. At this stage it is anticipated that local A&E and GP services will continue to function as normal. The council is liaising with commissioned care services in Monmouthshire to ensure their own business continuity arrangements are robust and they have considered the impact of Brexit on their staffing and supply chains for food and medicines.


We do not envisage any immediate impact on schools as a result of a no deal Brexit but we are making sure any potential implications are understood and that longer-term impacts can be managed. Find out more about how Welsh Government are working to maintain local services.

For some groups in the population, children reliant on school meals; elderly people in residential care; patients in hospitals – the impact of a no deal exit from the EU could raise anxieties about food supplies. We are working closely with partners and suppliers to understand food supply chains locally.

The Welsh Local Government Association (WLGA) has received funding to help local authorities develop their planning for EU exit.

Local economy

The Welsh economy could face major disruption in the event of a no deal Brexit, for example as a result of delays of goods at ports and increased tariff barriers.

The Welsh Government have already made substantial funding available for Brexit adaptations for businesses. However, if you own a business in Monmouthshire or are responsible for Brexit planning, then the Business Wales Brexit portal sets out the steps you should take to prepare your business for the potential impact of a no deal outcome. It also provides contact details for support and advice services, which are ready to help.


We are fully committed to maintaining and enhancing community cohesion and respect for everyone living in Monmouthshire. There is a potential risk of tension and we urge people to report any instances of hate crime or other issues to the police immediately. Thankfully we have not had increased reports of community tensions relating to Brexit.

Emergency response

If there are any emerging risks/disruptions to public services and other sectors in the run up to exit day and beyond, the council will activate its own resilience response and will coordinate our response with the Welsh Government’s Emergency Co-ordination Centre in Cardiff. This will enable close joint working with all partners in Wales, including the Gwent Local Resilience Forum which will also link with similar UK Government mechanisms in the UK government. The council continue to work closely with Welsh Government and the

Welsh Local Government Association (WLGA) to ensure the particular needs of Monmouthshire are recognised, understood and met in its planning work.

EU Travel

The UK Government has published advice for UK citizens planning to travel to the EU. This includes advice about passports, travel advice, pet travel and mobile roaming fees. 

EU Citizens

If you are an EU citizen, have EU staff or are recruiting from the EU, the Home Office has published the following advice:

  • If EU citizens want to stay in the UK beyond 31 December 2020, they and their close family members will need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme. The scheme will open fully by March 2019.
  • This toolkit has been launched to equip employers with tools and information to support EU citizens and their families about the EU Settlement Scheme.

The UK Government has an Prepare for EU exit campaign to give individuals and businesses advice about preparations and the steps they may need to take.

Want to find out more?

Further information from other partners and Welsh Government can be found on the welsh government web site – https://beta.gov.wales/brexit