About Active Travel
Why is Active Travel (Walking & Cycling) Important
There are huge benefits in encouraging greater levels of Active Travel. Including walking and cycling in your normal daily routine is an excellent way to improve your health and wellbeing. When compared to driving it can also save you money on fuel and parking costs; cycling can even reduce travel time to work not being stuck on busy roads. Also Active Travel will help reduce traffic levels, and thus decrease air pollution, noise and climate change emissions.
Why Do We Need to Consult
One of the main barriers to more people taking up Active Travel is the perception of danger and that roads are mainly for motor vehicles. That is why Welsh Government has passed legislation requiring all local authorities to identify a network of integrated maps for Active Travel. These maps will show agreed routes to encourage greater modal shift (that is a move away from the car to walking and cycling). These maps will illustrate:
- where routes require improvement,
- where new routes are needed, and
- those routes that already meet agreed standards.
Welsh Government criteria is primarily (but not exclusively) based on settlements with a population of more than 2000. In Monmouthshire this means we will consult on walking & cycling in Abergavenny, Caldicot (including Rogiet and Portskewitt), Chepstow, Gilwern, Magor with Undy, Monmouth, and Usk This exercise was first undertaken 3 years ago and must now be refreshed.
Do you want a say in which routes need to be developed to encourage Active Travel (walking and cycling) in Monmouthshire. Please click here for further details.
- Active Travel (Home)
- About Active Travel
- Have Your Say (Active Travel)
- Proposed Routes for Walking and Cycling (INM’s)
- Strategic Focus (Active Travel)
- Get Active with MonLife
- Cycling in Monmouthshire (Visit Monmouthshire)
- Walking in Monmouthshire (Visit Monmouthshire)
- The Active Travel (Wales) Act 2013
- Welsh Government Active Travel Act Statutory Guidance
- Welsh Government Active Travel Act Design Guidance
Welsh Government detailed ERM Maps for Monmouthshire