If you wish to drive a hackney carriage or a private hire vehicle, you need to apply for a private hire/hackney carriage driver’s licence.

A register of all private hire/hackney carriage drivers is available for inspection.

How do I get a licence?

Before a licence can be issued, the council must satisfy itself that the applicant is a ‘fit and proper’ person to hold a licence.

If you are applying for a licence for the first time you must:

  • Have attained the age of 21 years
  • Have held a British driving licence (holder of an EC/EEA driving licence with GB counterpart document) for a minimum of 12 months
  • Pass a Literacy/Numeracy test
  • Pass a Knowledge test
  • Complete the relevant application forms
  • Pay theĀ licence_fees
  • Submit a Disclosure Application form for the Criminal Records Bureau (This application form can be obtained and returned to the Licensing Section and not via the Criminal Records Bureau)
  • Submit a DVLA Mandate to release information from the DVLA to Licensing
  • Pass a medical examination conducted by your own G.P.

Certain criminal convictions and motoring offences will necessitate the application being placed before the Licensing and Regulatory Committee for a decision to be made. This may mean a delay in the processing of the application. Monmouthshire County Council has a policy on how they determine applications with convictions. It must be noted this is a guidance document for the Authority.

How do I apply for a licence?

To apply for a hackney carriage/private hire driver’s licence you must first conduct a Literacy/Numeracy test with Monmouthshire Adult Community Education (MACE) at Gilwern Education Centre, Common Road, Gilwern. Please contact Licensing in order to arrange an appointment to conduct this test.

On successfully completing the Literacy/Numeracy test, you will be given the application pack to complete by MACE and Licensing will contact you in order to conduct the second test, namely the Knowledge test. The knowledge test is based on the conditions of the licence, map reading and geographical landmarks of Monmouthshire.

Once all tests and assessments have been satisfactorily completed and all fees paid, a licence can be granted.

The licence will normally be issued for 12 months and must be renewed prior to it’s expiry. Once a licence is granted it will be subject to Monmouthshire County Council’s Conditions. Licences to act as the driver of private hire/hackney carriage vehicle are issued under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976 and Town Police Clauses Act 1847.

How do I renew my licence?

Private hire/hackney carriage driver’s licence must be renewed prior to their expiry date. Failure to renew the licence will require the licence holder to conduct a Knowledge test due to non compliance of the legislation that governs this licence and breaches in Monmouthshire County Council’s conditions.

To renew your licence you must submit the following to the Licensing Section

  • A DVLA Mandate to release information from the DVLA to Licensing
  • 2 photographs
  • Renewal application form
  • The required fee