Monmouthshire / Sir Fynwy

Noise pollution

The noise service

The public health team in environmental health have legal powers to deal with certain noise problems and can deal with noise complaints from a variety of activities including:

  • Domestic sources e.g. barking dogs, amplified music, DIY noise
  • Industrial sources e.g. noisy fans, generators
  • Commercial sources e.g. entertainment noise
  • Construction Sites e.g. noise from building /demolition works
  • Certain noise in streets from vehicles, machinery and equipment

As well as dealing with complaints of noise we also do a lot of preventative work to stop noise occurring, these include:

  • Assessment of the impact of noise of new developments under the Development Control [Planning] system
  • Educational campaigns e.g. Noise Awareness week
  • Public Entertainment Licensing to control noise from certain public entertainment events

Neighbour complaints can be made by telephone, by email or by letter to the council’s environmental health department. You can also report incidents online.

Complaints can also be submitted online.

Your complaint should include the following information:

  • Your name and address and (where possible) a daytime phone number
  • The address (or site) where the noise is coming from and the type of noise
  • When and how long the noise occurs
  • The way the noise affects you (e.g. stops you from sleeping).
    Anything you have done to try and deal with the problem (e.g. speaking to the person making the noise)
  • Any information on landlord details [if relevant]

When we receive your complaint, we may have to ask you for extra information, if we do not have all the necessary details. If the problem is the responsibility of another agency we will tell you.

Please note: Complaints about noise from Housing Association tenants will be dealt with in partnership with the relevant Housing Association.

Initially we will write to the person alleged to be causing the disturbance informing them that a complaint has been made. The alleged offender is advised what noise the complaint is regarding and advised to take steps to control the noise. They are also advised that investigations to establish nuisance will start should we receive further complaints.
At the same time the complainant is asked to keep a noise disturbance record to aid the investigation. This record may then be used if legal action is necessary later.

Noise from burglar alarms

We get many complaints every year about intruder alarms sounding and the vast majority are sounding falsely. Environmental health officers have to get these turned off, sometimes by force. The cost of this is passed on to the owner or occupier of the house and the bill can turn into hundreds of pounds.

You should check to ensure the alarm is fitted with a 20 minute cut-out device. Even the best maintained alarm systems however, can sometimes develop faults. You can help us, and perhaps save yourself a considerable sum of money by having someone else hold a key for you. If you let us know who your key holders are, we can contact them and get your alarm turned off with less hassle.

Noise from fireworks

The law relating to fireworks has changed with the Fireworks Act 2003 which puts new restrictions on the use of fireworks. The Act says no-one shall use an adult firework during night hours between 11 pm to 7am except for permitted displays, displays for local authority or national public celebration.

Times when late night fire works are permitted:
11pm – 1am on Chinese New Year
11pm – 12am on 5th November
11pm – 1am on Diwali
11pm – 1am on New Years Eve

Even on these special days you can not use category 3 fireworks which, produce a sound level exceeding 120 decibels later than 11pm. Categories of fireworks are labelled on the box.


Bothered by noise from fireworks?

Unfortunately, there is no specific law to deal with the noise made by fireworks. The ordinary noise nuisance laws are not applicable to firework noise as:

  • a firework event, held once a year for an hour or so, is not a continuous or ongoing noise nuisance
  • fireworks are often used to celebrate cultural or religious ceremonies and this would be the view taken by any court in relation to fireworks used during such periods
  • it would be difficult to prove beyond all reasonable doubt that any one event or person is causing the noise problem when there may be other or similar events held locally
  • We cover a large area with thousands of buildings and gardens, to pinpoint where the fireworks are coming from and identify the person responsible, is not possible
  • Monmouthshire do not offer a reactive out of hours service, although we do carry out some pre-arranged out of hours work

Noise that we cannot deal with

We have no legal powers to deal with certain noise nuisances. These are dealt with by the agencies as follows:

Road and railway noise:
The National Assembly for Wales, Transport, Planning and Environment Group, Transport Policy Division, Cathays Park, Cardiff CF10 3NQ Tel: 029 20826512

Air traffic noise:
Department of the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, Aviation and Environment Division, 1/33 Great Minister House, 76 Marsham Street, London SW1P 4DR Tel: 0300 330 3000 Fax: 020 7944 2191

Military aircraft noise:
Ministry of Defence, DAS 4(Sec), Room 8249, Main Building, Whitehall, London SW1A 2HB Tel: 020 7218 6020

Street noise not from vehicles or machinery:
We cannot deal with children playing, shouting and screaming and anti-social behaviour in general.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Latest website updates

September 23, 2014 - Local Service Board (LSB) - The Local Service Board (LSB) is a meeting of executives in Monmouthshire’s public service organisations. The LSB sits... Continue reading Local Service Board (LSB)

September 22, 2014 - Monnow Bridge and Gate - Recently completed improvements to Monnow Bridge and Gate will allow greater access and better interpretation of the towns unique medieval structure.... Continue reading Monnow Bridge and Gate

September 19, 2014 - Our Enterprise Strategy - Our Single Integrated Plan is the overarching strategy for Monmouthshire County Council, our partners and our communities. One of... Continue reading Our Enterprise Strategy

What you're saying

andrewnp70hf commented on Highways:

I am a regular user of the road from the Corn Exchange in Gilwern to the Usk Bridge crossing at Glangrywny. Over the the years the amount of traffic using this narrow road which is single direction with passing places for part of its length has steadily grown and at times the road is very congested. I now read in the local papers that the planning authority (BBNP) are considering an application to develop housing at the old army camp at Cwrt-y-Gollen in Glangrwyny just over the county boundary in Powys. This is bound to result in an increase in traffic in the event that the development goes ahead which will have implications for the road from the bridge to Gilwern which being in Monmouthshire is a responsibility of MCC Highways Authority. I would be interested to know whether MCC have made any submission to the planning authority in respect of the traffic impact of the development and whether MCC are considering traffic measures to deal with the increasing traffic such as road widening, traffic lights to improve flow, upgrading the bridge. Continue reading 'Highways' >

Peter commented on Street naming and numbering:

Over a period of several years I communicated with you concerning the name on your records of Church Road or Penyglog Road - I live at Grey Squirrels NP18 1JA. The situation was resolved to our mutual satisfaction some time ago and I was assured that all your records would be updated to reflect the agreed name of Church Road - and you sent me a copy of an e-mail to all Council Departments requesting the change be implemented. On looking at your site under My Monmouthshire and selecting to search for places at NP18 1JA I was pleased to note that our address was Church Road. However, the remaining four properties, Cwrt Perrott Cottages, still had Penyglog Road in their addresses. A search on NP18 1HX correctly shows Church Road where relevant. Continue reading 'Street naming and numbering' >