Children and young people attending school on a full-time basis may be entitled to receive free school meals.
Who qualifies for free school meals?
Children whose parents/carers receive any of the following support payments may be entitled to receive free school meals in schools maintained by the council.
- Income Support.
- Income based Jobseekers Allowance.
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999.
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance.
- Child Tax Credit, provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and their annual income does not exceed £16,190.
- Guarantee element of State Pension Credit.
- Working Tax Credit ‘run-on’ – the payment someone may receive for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit.
- Universal Credit
How do I apply for free school meals?
Complete the online free school meals application form by clicking here.
Please note: You no longer need to provide supporting documentation to verify your benefit entitlement, all we need is for you (the parent/carer) to complete all sections of the application and we will verify your benefit entitlement with the Department for Education and Welsh Government database.
How soon will I hear?
We are able to process applications received during the academic year within five to ten working days. If you are entitled to free school meals you will receive a letter confirming the date from which you will be able to claim free school meals.
Schools will be notified by us that your child is eligible for a school meal free of charge.
Do you provide a clothing grant?
The Welsh Government has previously provided grant funding to support families on low income with the costs of purchasing school uniform on transition from primary to secondary school. The grant will cease at the end of the 2017/18 financial year. Therefore unfortunately from September 2018 there will be no assistance with the purchase of your child’s uniform.
How can I find out more about the new menu?
To view our latest Autumn/Winter menus please click here