Are you eligible for free school meals?
Children and young people attending school on a full-time basis may be entitled to receive free school meals.
Who qualifies for free school meals?
Here in Monmouthshire, children whose parents/carers receive any of the following support payments may be entitled to receive free school meals in schools maintained by the council.
- Income Support.
- Income based Jobseekers Allowance.
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999.
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance.
- Child Tax Credit, provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and their annual income does not exceed £16,190.
- Guarantee element of State Pension Credit.
- Working Tax Credit ‘run-on’ – the payment someone may receive for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit.
How do I apply for free school meals?
Complete the online free school meals application form by clicking here.
Please note: You no longer need to provide supporting documentation to verify your benefit entitlement, all we need is for you (the parent/carer) to complete all sections of the application and we will verify your benefit entitlement with the Department for Education and Welsh Government database.
How soon will I hear?
We are able to process applications received during the academic year within five to ten working days. If you are entitled to free school meals you will receive a letter confirming the date from which you will be able to claim free school meals.
Schools will be notified by us that your child is eligible for a school meal free of charge.
How can I find out more about the new menu?
To view our latest Autumn/Winter menus please click here