Monmouthshire / Sir Fynwy

Student finance


Students may be eligible for support if they are studying a full time course, including sandwich courses at a UK university or publicly funded college, which will lead to one of the following:

  • First degree (BA, BSc, BEd.)
  • Diploma of Higher Education (Dip HE)
  • Higher National Diploma or Certificate (HND, HNC)
  • Post Graduate Certificate of Education (PGCE)
  • Foundation year, which forms an integral part of one of the above courses

The financial support is based on an assessment carried out by the local authority and is means tested based on household income.

Loan applications can be completed online (PN1 or PR1 forms).

Late applications

After your course starts, if you decide that you want to apply for financial help you must apply no later than 9 months after the first day of the academic year of your course.  However, in certain circumstances this limit can be extended.

Your application will generally take approximately 6 weeks to process.

Part-time study

Part-time undergraduate students studying at least 50% of an equivalent full-time course are entitled to receive a Fee Grant, depending on your household income.

Your college or university should be able to tell you whether your course qualifies.

There are three different rates of fee grant depending on how intensive your course is. For example, if you study at a rate equivalent to 75% of a full-time course, you could qualify for a higher fee grant than a student studying at a rate equivalent to 50% of a full-time course.

You can also apply for assistance with course related costs worth up to £1,095.

If you are on a part-time teacher-training course, you are not eligible for part-time grants but you may qualify for full-time support.

Students who already have a degree cannot normally apply for this support.

Additional part-time support

Part-time undergraduate students studying at least 50% of an equivalent full-time course may be entitled to receive Adult Dependants’ Grant, Childcare Grant  or Parents’ Learning Allowance.

Your college or university should be able to tell you whether your course qualifies.

Gap year

If you apply to study at an institution but then decide to take a gap year, don’t forget to inform your chosen institution as soon as possible.

You should keep your confirmation safe as you will need to inform the local authority of your decision and also for proof when you reapply for the following year.

Grants and funding

Further education grants

Are you in full-time further education? Are you studying A levels, BTEC (Business and Technology Education Council), GNVQ (General National Vocational Qualification) etc?

If yes, then the following may apply to you:

  • Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) is an incentive allowance paid to eligible young people (16 – 18 year olds) who stay on at school 6th form or college after school leaving age, attend regularly and achieve learning goals
  • Also available for further education students is a Further Education Welsh Assembly Learning Grant, this is a grant available to Welsh students. It is based upon the annual residual income and is a grant therefore it does not have to be repaid

Applications can be completed or requested online.

Monmouthshire Farm Endowment Trust Fund

Grant funding may be available to students at both further and higher education providing they are studying a land based or agricultural course. The following criteria must be met:

  1. You must live in Torfaen, Monmouthshire, Blaenau Gwent or Caerphilly
  2. Be attending the Coleg Gwent, Usk Campus or any other college or University as a student of agriculture or related subjects.

You can download the Monmouthshire Farm Endowment Trust Application Form.

The grant is given after the fees have been paid (as a reimbursement). The completed applications submitted in October and January of each Academic year. If an award has been made, the student must provide evidence of attendance on their course and then provide receipts for claims up to the value of their award.

Other grants available

As well as the further education grants, there are extra grants available. These are:

  • Disabled students allowance, you can apply for help with extra costs you have to pay in following your course if you have a disability or specific learning difficulty
  • Special support grant is a grant for students who may be eligible to receive certain means tested benefits such as income support and housing benefit. The grant is similar to the Assembly Learning Grant and does not usually have to be paid back. If you leave your course early you may have to repay some of the grant
  • Parents learning allowance, this is an additional grant to help with course related costs where you have independent children
  • Adult dependants grant, you may be entitled to help if you have an adult in your household who depends on you financially
  • Childcare grant, this grant helps towards the cost of childcare for a student studying full or part time, (the LEA will only pay up to 85% of the weekly cost, £161.50 for one child and for two or more children the maximum grant is £274.55 a week (85% of actual childcare cost of up to £323 a week).

Grant applications can be completed online through the PN1 or PR1 forms.

Childcare grant applications can be printed online or requested from the local education authority.


Other sources of funding

There are other sources of funding dependant upon what course and circumstances that apply to you. These may be:

  • European study the Erasmus exchange programme
  • Scholarship Search UK providing information about other sources of funding for undergraduates
  • Educational Grants and Advisory Service is an independent advice agency for people who want to get more funding for further and higher education. EGAS can also give detailed advice about the statutory funding system to those who are considering entering further or higher education
  • HM Revenue and Customs, providing you with advice on tax credits or the childcare element of working tax credit
  • The Frank Buttle Trust Fund, this is the grant scheme for students and trainees. It helps young people facing severe financial and other difficulties, typically in the absence of a family safety net or parental support, acquire academic, trade or professional qualifications that are so essential in today’s world

Travel assistance

Students who are over 16 may be able to get help with their travel costs. For more information please email our transport team at

Repaying your student loan

You will be eligible to start repaying your loan in the April after you have finished or left your course.

The amount you will repay will be linked to your income.

The Student Loans Company will work with HM Revenue and Customs to collect repayments which will be taken by your employer and and shown on your pay statement.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Latest website updates

September 23, 2014 - Local Service Board (LSB) - The Local Service Board (LSB) is a meeting of executives in Monmouthshire’s public service organisations. The LSB sits... Continue reading Local Service Board (LSB)

September 22, 2014 - Monnow Bridge and Gate - Recently completed improvements to Monnow Bridge and Gate will allow greater access and better interpretation of the towns unique medieval structure.... Continue reading Monnow Bridge and Gate

September 19, 2014 - Our Enterprise Strategy - Our Single Integrated Plan is the overarching strategy for Monmouthshire County Council, our partners and our communities. One of... Continue reading Our Enterprise Strategy

What you're saying

andrewnp70hf commented on Highways:

I am a regular user of the road from the Corn Exchange in Gilwern to the Usk Bridge crossing at Glangrywny. Over the the years the amount of traffic using this narrow road which is single direction with passing places for part of its length has steadily grown and at times the road is very congested. I now read in the local papers that the planning authority (BBNP) are considering an application to develop housing at the old army camp at Cwrt-y-Gollen in Glangrwyny just over the county boundary in Powys. This is bound to result in an increase in traffic in the event that the development goes ahead which will have implications for the road from the bridge to Gilwern which being in Monmouthshire is a responsibility of MCC Highways Authority. I would be interested to know whether MCC have made any submission to the planning authority in respect of the traffic impact of the development and whether MCC are considering traffic measures to deal with the increasing traffic such as road widening, traffic lights to improve flow, upgrading the bridge. Continue reading 'Highways' >

Peter commented on Street naming and numbering:

Over a period of several years I communicated with you concerning the name on your records of Church Road or Penyglog Road - I live at Grey Squirrels NP18 1JA. The situation was resolved to our mutual satisfaction some time ago and I was assured that all your records would be updated to reflect the agreed name of Church Road - and you sent me a copy of an e-mail to all Council Departments requesting the change be implemented. On looking at your site under My Monmouthshire and selecting to search for places at NP18 1JA I was pleased to note that our address was Church Road. However, the remaining four properties, Cwrt Perrott Cottages, still had Penyglog Road in their addresses. A search on NP18 1HX correctly shows Church Road where relevant. Continue reading 'Street naming and numbering' >