We are committed to the prevention of fraud and error and work closely with the Single Fraud Investigation Service set up by the Department for Work and Pensions to investigate Housing Benefit Fraud as well as other welfare Benefits such as tax credits.
We will also identify fraud in the Council Tax Reduction Scheme and will carry out comprehensive enquiries, interviewing claimants and prosecuting offenders where appropriate.
Typical examples of fraud include those who
- work but do not declare this when they claim benefit
- claim as a single person but actually live with their partner
- claim from an address but do not actually live there
- do not tell us about all of their income and savings when they claim benefit
If you know someone who may be claiming benefits fraudulently, please report it to us in one of the following ways:
- Report to the Department for Work and Pensions
- contact the fraud hotline, 01495 766324 (Please note this is a joint phone number, shared with Monmouthshire and Torfaen)
- use Torfaen’s online form to report the benefit fraud
- email email@example.com
All information is treated in the strictest confidence and you may remain anonymous if you wish. Please give as much information as possible
Please note- Monmouthshire’s Benefit Service is provided by Torfaen County Borough Council