The annual Monmouthshire Volunteer Achievement Awards hosted by GAVO (Gwent Association of Voluntary Organisations) and Monmouthshire County Council were held recently at Caldicot Choir Hall. The celebratory evening focussed on the inspiring commitment of volunteers from all walks of life who give their time freely and share their skills to make a huge impact in all sections of the county’s communities.
The evening was attended by HM Lord Lieutenant of Gwent, Brigadier Robert Aitken CBE, The High Sheriff of Gwent, Kevin Thomas Esq JP, Monmouthshire’s Chairman, Councillor Maureen Powell, GAVO Chair, Edward Watts and Councillor Peter Fox, Leader of Monmouthshire County Council, among many others. Entertainment was provided by Darren Graceland Jones, a multi-award winning Elvis tribute act, with a caring twist!
Clare Jones, GAVO’s Volunteering Team Manager said: “Congratulations to all the dedicated volunteers who play such a vital role in our society. The Volunteer Awards are our way of sharing the stories of some wonderful people throughout the county who have a major impact on others’ lives”.
Councillor Bob Greenland, Monmouthshire’s cabinet member with responsibility for innovation added: “Volunteers share thousands of hours across our county, improving people’s lives and the communities in which they live. The Volunteer Achievement Awards evening gives us the opportunity to recognise and highlight their work and beneficial effect. I offer my grateful thanks for their wonderful contribution.”
The organisers thanked sponsors for presenting awards. The winners were:
- Young Volunteer- Ellie Hall (award sponsored by Gwent Police)
- Adult Volunteer – Nick Cann (award sponsored by Carling in the Community)
- Environmental – Monmouthshire Countryside Service Saturday Volunteers (award sponsored by Rogiet Community Council)
- Trustee – Jon Williams (award sponsored by GAVO)
- Group – 21 Plus (award sponsored by Aneurin Bevan University Health Board)
- Personal Journey – Tracy Bartlett (award sponsored by GAVO)
- Inspirational – Meirion and Sarah Howells (award sponsored by Hill & Co Financial Advisers)
- Monmouthshire County Council Chairman’s award – Bethanie Headworth (award sponsored by Monmouthshire County Council)
Residents interested in community involvement can find more about opportunities by visiting www.volunteering-wales.net or calling the Monmouthshire Volunteer Centre on 01633 241566. Full details of the volunteering activities undertaken by the award winners and those highly commended are available on the GAVO website www.gavowales.org.uk/volunteering